Family Dispute Resolution & Mediation
Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) is the process in which parties in conflict are supported to communicate with one another about what is important for them and how to make decisions relevant to resolving their dispute. This service is also known as family mediation.
The FDR process is mandatory, meaning that people wishing to resolve their disputes must attend FDR and make a genuine effort to resolve those issues before they can enter the court system. There are exemptions that include family violence, child abuse and when matters are of extreme urgency which is assessed on a case-by-case basis.
If you wish to apply for a parenting order, you will need a certificate from one of our Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner’s (FDRP) that certifies that a genuine effort at FDR was made.
Family Dispute Resolution Practitioners provide parties with the necessary support to identify and resolve issues that lead to mutually acceptable and sustainable agreements.
Our Practitioners will guide parties through the FDR process by:
- Identifying and isolating the issues requiring resolution
- Providing an environment where the voice of each party can be heard
- Sharing relevant and useful information
- Providing and engaging professional referrals were necessary
- Exploring ideas and options
- Testing possible solutions
- Reducing decisions and agreements into writing
Benefits of FDR
The FDR process has many benefits such as:
- Time and money-saving over entering the court system
- Promotes cooperation and communication for future parenting
- Provides a structure of resolution for current and future disputes
- Parties have more control in FDR than in court
- Less stress and ordeal than court proceedings
- More effective means of conflict resolution
- Agreements made are generally sustainable given self-agreement
How does Mediation for Families™ conduct FDR?
Our services are offered to those that are seeking a safe, cost-effective and professional platform to mediate. Our services are tailored to online or telephone mediation and the bulk of our services are through these platforms to reduce any obstacles or barriers to reaching a sustainable agreement.
What are the benefits of using Mediation for Families™ online or telephone platform?
This is the most common question we get asked so here’s just a few:
- Reduced level of anxiety, fear and stress for our clients
- Keeping the parties separated increases comfortability and safety
- You can mediate regardless of your location
- You won’t waste time in traffic getting to the mediation venue
- You, the other party won’t pay city parking charges of up to $90/day
- You, the other party won’t pay room hire charges of up to $500/day
- The Mediator doesn’t have to pass travel costs, parking costs and room hire onto the parties
- You and the other party can participate in the comfort of your own home
- Reduced costs and time restraints enable additional sessions where necessary
- The Mediator can prepare digital agreements in real-time
- Lower overheads for the Mediator means lower cost for the clients
What are the Fees?
Sounds great, how do I get started?
We have made the process simple.
- Book an obligation free initial consult with one of our FDRPs
- Complete our Standard Intake & Assessment (online) or book a Priority Intake & Assessment (by phone)
- We will invite the other party to complete their Intake & Assessment
- If not eligible you will be offered a s.60 certificate and we will send you an online link.
- If eligible both parties will be sent a link to secure their mediation date.